Did you miss the annual hazardous waste collection? Here is what to do


MANISTEE COUNTY – Since 2006, Manistee Conservation District has been helping residents responsibly dispose of hazardous chemicals, in hopes of preventing toxic household items, pharmaceuticals and pesticides from ending up in landfills , sewage systems or groundwater.

This weekend, the conservation districts of Manistee, Mason and Oceana held their annual household hazardous waste collection events – which typically collect several tons of potentially harmful household items each year.

For those who missed the annual collection, the local conservation district has a number of recommendations on disposal methods for several common household items.


A web app on the county recycling website can help residents determine what is recyclable in their area. Type the name of the waste into the app, and the County Waste Advisor tool will tell you how to recycle or dispose of common household items.

The free tool was funded by a recycling grant from the State of Michigan in 2020 and can be found at manisteecountymi.gov/356/Recycling.

For more information, call the recycling hotline at 855-246-9376 or email Sarah Archer, recycling coordinator, at [email protected]


In an effort to reduce the costs of household hazardous waste, the Conservation District recommends that used automotive fluids, including engine oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, transmission fluid, and hydraulic fluid, be taken to approved auto repair or parts suppliers for recycling.


Unwanted or expired medications can be disposed of at the Red Med Box at Family Fare, Manistee Municipal Police and Manistee Sheriff’s Office and Little River Band Ottawa Tribal Indian Police Station.


Broken or obsolete electronics and computers can be recycled at Goodwill through their electronic recycling program.

Visit their website for more information at goodwillwm.org/index.php?page=electronics-recycling.


The Conservation District recommends the following precautions:

Never pour a hazardous chemical down a storm sewer, down your sink, or onto the floor; Never put hazardous waste in the regular garbage collection; andAll hazardous materials should be taken to a local DMD collection site.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.