Electronic Systems Design Industry Reports 14.4% Year-over-Year Revenue Growth in Q4 2021, ESD Alliance Reports
MILPITAS, Calif. — April 4, 2022 – Electronic systems design (ESD) industry revenue increased 14.4% from $3,031.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2020 to $3,468.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2021, the ESD Alliancea SEMI technology community, today announced in its latest Electronic Design Market Data (EDMD) report. The four-quarter moving average, which compares the last four quarters to the previous four, rose 15.8%.
The companies followed in the EDMD report employed 51,236 people globally in Q4 2021, a 5.7% increase from the Q4 2020 workforce of 48,478+ 0.1% compared to Q3 2021.“The industry continued to post double-digit year-over-year revenue growth for the fourth quarter of 2021 and ended 2021 with total revenue of $13.2 billion,” said said Walden C. Rhines, Executive Sponsor of SEMI. Electronic Design Market Data report. “Product Categories Computer Aided Engineering, Printed Circuit Board and Multi-Chip Module, Semiconductor intellectual property and services recorded double-digit growth in the quarter. Geographically, the Americas; Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA); and Asia-Pacific (APAC) all saw revenue growth. »
The quarterly EDMD The report contains detailed revenue information with the following categories and geographic breakdowns.
Revenue by Product Category and Application – Year-over-Year Change
- Computer-aided engineering (CAE) revenue increased 11.2% to $1,064.6 million. The CAE four-quarter moving average increased 12.2%.
- Physical design and verification of integrated circuits revenue decreased 2% to $624.5 million. The category’s four-quarter rolling average increased 7%.
- Circuit board and multi-chip module (PCB and MCM) revenue increased 13.9% to $333.7 million. The four-quarter rolling average of PCBs and MCMs increased 15.1%.
- Semiconductor Intellectual Property (SIP) revenue jumped 24.8% to $1,314.3 million. The four-quarter SIP rolling average increased by 23.9%.
- Services revenue increased 43.1% to $131.1 million. The four-quarter rolling average for services increased by 19%.
Revenue by Region – Year-on-Year Change
- the Americas, the largest reporting region by revenue, purchased electronic systems design products and services worth $1,577.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2021, an increase of 21%. The four-quarter rolling average for the Americas increased 17.2%.
- Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) purchased $482.5 million worth of electronic systems design products and services in Q4 2021, an increase of 5.5%. The four-quarter rolling average for EMEA increased by 12.6%.
- from Japan procurement of electronic systems design products and services decreased 2.4% to $222.8 million. Japan’s four-quarter moving average rose 1%.
- Asia-Pacific (APAC) purchased $1,185.6 million worth of electronic systems design products and services in the fourth quarter of 2021, an increase of 13.8%. The four-quarter rolling average for APAC increased 18.9%.
About the EDMD report
The ESD Alliance Electronic Design Market Data (formerly Market Statistics Service) presents quarterly data on electronic design automation (EDA), SIP and service industry revenue. Public and private companies contribute data to the report available from SEMI. Each quarterly report is published approximately three months after the end of the quarter. EDMD the report data is segmented as follows:
- Revenue by Product Category (CAE, IC Physical Design & Verification, Semiconductor IP, PCB/MCM Layout, and Services), including many detailed subcategories
- Revenue by region (Americas, EMEA, Japan and APAC)
- Total employment in participating companies
For more information on SEMI Market Research Reports, visit Catalog of Market Research Reports and SEMI Databases.
About the Alliance for Electronic Systems Design
the Electronic Systems Design (ESD) Alliance, a SEMI technology community, is the central voice to communicate and promote the value of the semiconductor design ecosystem as a vital component of the global electronics industry. As an international association of companies providing goods and services across the semiconductor design ecosystem, it is a forum to address technical, marketing, economic and legislative issues affecting the entire industry. industry. For more information on the ESD Alliance, visit http://esd-alliance.org.
SEMI® connects more than 2,500 member companies and 1.3 million professionals worldwide to advance electronics design and manufacturing technology and business. SEMI members are responsible for innovations in materials, design, equipment, software, devices and services that enable smarter, faster, more powerful and more affordable electronic products. Electronic System Design Alliance (ESD Alliance), FlexTech, Fab Owners Alliance (FOA), MEMS & Sensors Industry Group (MSIG), and SOI Consortium are strategic SEMI technology communities. To visit www.semi.org to learn more.