ePrescribe by Henry Schein One Offers CDA Members Special Prices on E-Prescribing
CDA members may already be aware that California dentists and other prescribing health care providers will be required by state law to submit electronic prescriptions for all medications, with a few exceptions. * This was originally reported by ADC when Assembly Bill 2789 became law in 2018. The bill provided for a three-year deferred implementation to allow prescribers to choose and implement a platform – electronic prescription form. Electronic prescriptions will be mandatory from January 1, 2022.
It is important to note that the law, as drafted, does not allow prescriptions by phone, email or fax. Paper prescriptions will be completely obsolete in 2022. In order to comply with the law, prescribers will need to use software capable of electronically submitting prescriptions directly to the pharmacy.
In some cases, before the January 1 deadline, many large retail pharmacies, such as Walmart, will only accept electronic prescriptions for drugs. This means that even before the deadline, dental offices should strive to install either stand-alone electronic prescribing software or a software application associated with an electronic health record.
California dentists who are not already using e-prescribing software should take important steps to become compliant. From verifying identity to configuring the software, this process can often take at least two weeks. Fortunately, Henry Schein One ePrescribe, CDA’s newest endorsed service partner, offers CDA members the ability to send prescriptions electronically to retail and mail order pharmacies. CDA exclusive membership pricing on a subscription provides instant access to web-based software, which is simple to set up – no downloads or new hardware required.
ePrescribe offers integrated and autonomous solutions
Simplifying e-prescribing implementation for many dentists, ePrescribe works with all Henry Schein One practice management systems, including Dentrix, Easy Dental, Dentrix Enterprise, and Dentrix Ascend. This compatibility with major industry systems ensures seamless business operations during the transition from paper to electronic prescriptions. In addition, ePrescribe offers a stand-alone solution that will work with other practice management solutions, regardless of the vendor.
Patient safety is maximized with ePrescribe
One of the benefits of moving to electronic prescribing is the potential for improving patient safety. ePrescribe eliminates many of the risks associated with handwritten prescriptions. Electronic prescriptions are always read with precision and cannot be changed when they are sent to the pharmacist. Electronic prescriptions are created electronically and transmitted instantly to the pharmacy, reducing wait times.
With the well-being of patients and providers in mind, Henry Schein One ePrescribe has additional features that contribute to both law enforcement and patient safety. ePrescribe automatically checks for drug allergies, drug interactions, dosing errors, and duplicate therapies. It also links prescribers with the California prescription drug monitoring program known as CURES. With access to CURES, providers can search the state’s database for patients while issuing prescriptions to monitor âphysician purchasesâ and prescription drug abuse.
The e-prescribing requirement and mandatory CURES consultations aim to both reduce the diversion of controlled substances and help provide timely patient care. Beyond regulatory compliance requirements, dentists can take pleasure in the streamlined clinical workflow of e-prescribing.
CDA members get a special rate on ePrescribe by Henry Schein One
The presented advantages of the ePrescribe software are:
- Integrates with all Henry Schein One practice management systems including Dentrix, Easy Dental, Dentrix Enterprise and Dentrix Ascend for seamless business operations
- Works with other practice management software solutions as a stand-alone product
- Creates electronic prescriptions that are instantly transmitted to the pharmacy
- Help ensure patient safety by automatically checking for drug allergies, drug interactions, dosing errors, and duplicate therapies
- Meets prescribing requirements set by major retail pharmacies so patients can easily fill their prescriptions at the local retail pharmacy of their choice
- Uses insurance information to generate price estimates from nearby pharmacies so your patients can save money on their prescriptions, a TruePriceRX feature in ePrescribe
As a CDA member, you’ll enjoy exclusive discounted prices on ePrescribe as well as the support you need to successfully implement and integrate the software into your dental practice. Visit www.HSePrescribe.com/CDA or call 866.955.2945 to take advantage of this offer or learn more.
* Dentists and other providers may provide paper prescriptions to a patient only in situations that are exceptions to the electronic prescribing requirement under state law. Read the CDA article published last June for more details on exceptions to e-prescribing.